We found out on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 24, 2012. The feeling was indescribable. Just all giddiness, excitement, and thoughts of the future. We couldn't have been more happy.
I had expected to start my cycle on the Monday or Tuesday of that week. Nothing. Not even that feeling, you know, that it's on its way. I kind of felt like this was it and by Thursday (Thanksgiving) when it had not arrived I knew. I knew we were pregnant. BUT I didn't want to take a test first. I didn't want to get my hopes up or risk a false negative by testing too early. Friday, still nothing. I resolved that if in the morning nothing had started I would take a test. Saturday morning arrived and I was elated that it was still more of the same. I took the test. The second line crossing the control line to create the positive outcome started appearing almost instantly. I refrained from calling Chris at work immediately. I really wanted to tell him in person, maybe just by showing the test. But then he called. He knew I was late and pretty much the first thing he asked me was if it had come yet. I said no - still not planning on telling him yet. But then he made some comment about not wanting to get his hopes up, we had been trying for over a year and he had been disappointed seriously EVERY single month leading up to then. I couldn't keep it from him. I said, "well, I took a test." His reaction was assuming that it had been negative (probably since I hadn't told him immediately jumping up and down - though I'm really not a jumping up and down kind of person) and I said: "It's positive."
He was silent for a little while. I wish I could have seen his face. Darn, that's why I wanted to tell him in person. I don't really remember what he said then, but I could feel his happiness.
Later that afternoon after he got home we went to my aunt's house for a (third) Thanksgiving dinner. It was hard not spilling the beans, especially around the holidays, just thinking about how there would be a new little human with us next year. Chris said he almost told like three different people. But we kept it together.
Over the next several days I took like five more tests. Not because I didn't believe the results or needed to make sure it was true. I knew it was real. I just liked seeing it turn positive every time. It just made me happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment